Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering 9/11/01

We all remember where we were and what we were doing the day the planes hit the Twin Towers in NYC.

I was attending my Sophomore year of college at Malone that year.  I was working on campus at 2 jobs and the one was the nurse's assistant.  I was in the office filing somethings, working on labels for new students, and thinking of what to put up next on the bulletin board outside the nurse's office.  Her daughter called to say a plane hit the first tower.  We were both shocked and thought "what happened?"  We brought up a news page online to see what the breaking news was.  Just then the second tower was hit.  She said I could leave and she thought about closing the office.  I was walking back to my room and everyone was just in shock.  We got calls that we would have a moment of prayer in the courtyard at 10am.  The whole campus gathered there to pray for everyone and anyone at that time.  We were lost and confused and without words.  90% of classes were cancelled as nothing would be accomplished.  Every tv on campus was turned to any news channel with coverage and tons of people gathered around watching in disbelief.  When I heard about Flight 93 crashing in PA it was first said "around Pittsburgh".  I couldn't find any other information and panicked!  That's too close to family.  Jen was still in Pittsburgh and mom and dad in Greenville.  I called Dad, knowing i wouldn't be able to get mom quickly, to find out what was going on.  Dad said they were fine and said Jen would be fine in Pittsburgh as it was near Somerset.

I will never forget the fear I had that day...not knowing what was next, how many more planes would be hijacked, etc.  That day I truly found comfort in God knowing He would protect us...and our Nation.

I pray today that our nation will come together as one again like we did that day.  Let us not forget those brave souls that searched and dug for survivors for days...listening to yelling, banging on the pipes and debris for help.

Thank you to all who have served this country, gave their life, and continue to serve so we continue to have our Freedom and protect our nation.  God bless them...and the USA.



This is one of my favorite songs...and yes, of course it's Michael W. Smith:

No comments: