Sunday, February 6, 2011

(More) Homemade Chinese

Last night we made orange chicken with rice and stirfry veggies.  It was delicious!!!!

 After we took it out of the oven....smelled SOOO good!
On the left is what I ate, and on the right is Ron's Jetson dinner! :)  (Just kidding...its fish oil!)

Here's the recipe...not sure how healthy it is but overall, not that bad!

Easy Orange Chicken**
1/2 c flour
1/2 c seasoned dry bread crumbs
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp garlic powder
Salt, pepper
4 boneless chicken breast halves
1/4 c veg oil
1/2 c orange marmalade
1/4c orange juice

Combine first 4 ingredients.  Season with salt and pepper.  Dredge chicken in flour mixture.  Shake off excess.  Heat oil in skillet over medium high heat.  Brown chicken.  Remove from pan and add marmalade and juice.  Boil until slightly decreased in volume.  Place chicken in a casserole.  Pour sauce over and bake at 350 degrees (uncovered) for 25 to 30 minutes.  Serves 4.


**Next time we will use half the dredge (as we threw half of it away).  Double the sauce if you want extra.  Also, Ron used more oil b/c he used a bigger pan to brown the chicken - maybe 1/2 c?  We also used garlic salt (no garlic powder) in the dredge and then fresh minced/chopped garlic in the sauce.  We baked it for 30 minutes and then topped it off with slivered almonds and bacon bits for another 10 minutes.  It was SO moist!  (I didn't care for the bacon bits but Ron had to!)

Let me know if anyone tries it!!!!

1 comment:

Jen said...

looks pretty good (except for the bacon bits and I'd probably leave off the almonds)...I think I'll try it, but I'll probably change it up a bit...you should type it in the recipe calorie counter to see how healthy it is...